‘I must have flowers, always, and always.’ – Claude Monet
I LOVED our wedding flowers. They were soft and delicate and just perfect!
I knew I wanted fresh flowers on the day and that fake were not going to cut it. I also knew I didn’t want to sink a huge chunk of our budget into them! They can get so expensive. As we’ve learned anything with wedding attached to it hikes the price up!!
My lovely mother in law has great green fingers and had kindly agreed to help us in this task!
I got together pictures, themes and colours to show her what we wanted and get some ideas flowing! One major tip that she drilled in was that whatever was NOT in season needed to be axed! If it’s in season it’s cheaper than sourcing flowers not in season!
A few of my beautiful brides who had gone before me also mentioned flowers they had that either fell apart or that didn’t live up to their hopes on the day. This really helped!! Roses were a big no from all of them. Anything with open petals look amazing in vases but when tossed around all day look dreadful come the after party!
My Top 8 Tips on Choosing Your Wedding Flowers
- Know what you want! Or at least have a very good idea. Once you get into the florists they have so many shades and variety it sends you into a tailspin! My best friend for this was Pinterest.
- Decide if real or fake is your thing! Everyone is different and both options are perfectly good depending on what you want out of your flowers. Fake can be cheaper and they are beautiful keepsakes. For me, I love fresh flowers and this was my choice. The choice is yours! If fake is your descision, Etsy have some stunning ones like this one here.
- Go straight to the source! Flower markets have loads of florists on site to help you create your master pieces! We found it way cheaper than high street florists and much more up for doing our thing, not what they thought was best! We used the Dublin one here and they were amazing!! They also did our mother’s bouquets to which were so beautiful!! Flower wholesalers can be found in lots of major towns, check to see if there is one near you!
- Pick what’s is season! This will help cost! Find out more on that here.
- Know your budget! And explain that to the florist. Be stern on not over spending. If they know what you have to spend they’ll show you what you can have instead of everything you can’t!
- Be up for tweaking. Pinterest show you amazing bouquets but realistically how much did that cost?! Flowers are pretty by themselves and a good florist can make them look even better
- Ask people for there advise. Some people have a thing for flowers and can make your life easier and help out, like my mother in law! If someone knows a lot about them and what works, use their knowledge to your advantage 🙂 Also, brides who had gone before me had loads of things they didn’t like about their flowers, this really helped me know what to avoid!
- Recycle!! Bear with me here. We had a church wedding which needed flowers and then the reception room which needed flowers. We made up flowers for the church and then moved them over to the reception after to get more mileage out of them!
Hopefully these tips help you out in some way while planning your flowers for your big day! We had so much fun getting this part of the wedding sorted!
If you have any questions on wedding flowers, please feel free to get in touch!
Check out more of my Wedding Day Posts in How I Did My I Do’s.