Welcome to Mrs S. LDN 6th Woman’s Crush Wednesday!!!
“Here’s to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.” – Unknown
This week is a little different as the beautiful Laura from Lauzies Lifestyle is host the party today. I am back from Dublin BUT only I could get a head cold in August! Queue Laura to save the day with her pick.
In True Laura style, a Hollywood Icon!
Previous #WCW Can be found below:
So without further ado, its over to Lauzie……
“I believe in the truth, and I believe in saying what you think. Why not? Do you have to go around whispering all the time or playing a game with people? I just don’t believe in that. So I’m not the most adored person on the face of the earth. You have to know this. There are a lot of people who don’t like me at all, I’m very sure of that. But I wasn’t put on earth to be liked. I have my own reasons for being and my own sense of what is important and what isn’t, and I’m not going to change that.”
D.O.B: 16th September 1924
Age: Died aged 89 in 2014
Old Hollywood movie icon and stage actress. Winner of an honorary Oscar, Golden Globe and Tony.
Reasons Lauren is a #WCW
- At the young age of 19, she became a household name with her first movie “To Have and Have Not”. Her famous line – “You know how to whistle don’t you? Just put your lips together and blow”.
- Despite being a teenager, she oozed sophistication and became known as one of the sultriest stars Hollywood had ever seen.
- She co-starred alongside the legendary Humphrey Bogart who was 25 years her senior. They married and were together for nearly 13 years until he died of cancer.
- She placed great value on friendships. “The value I have placed on friendships is enormous”.
- Bacall believed in accepting your age and refused to try and look younger.
- Even though her career was better known as the wife of Bogart, her dedication to work after raising her kids meant that she went on to conquer other achievements like tremendous success in the theatre.
- Her father left the family home when she was 5 – when all contact deceased. Everyone else in her life thought that acting was not a reputable career and a pipe dream. Only her mother supported her alongside her strong ambition.
- As a person who believed in the truth, she never held back opinion and happily laughed at her own mistakes. She said that you cannot take life too seriously.
- When she starred in her first film “To Have and Have Not”, she was incredibly nervous and could not stop shaking. To combat this, she would tilt her head down and look up with her eyes. This became known as ‘the look’.
- Her voice is as famous as her persona. Howard Hawks (powerful director, producer and screen-writer) told Bacall to not raise her voice as women sometimes do. It needed to sound controlled.
- A huge animal person – specifically dogs which she cared for throughout her life.
- She modestly did not understand her beauty and did not think to call herself one.
My favourite Lauren Bacall quotes:
“I am not a has-been. I am a will be”.
“I think your whole life shows in your face and you should be proud of that”.
“Living in the past, you miss the presence”.
“We live in an age of mediocrity”.
“You don’t always win your battles, but it’s good to know you fought”.
“I’m not ashamed of what I am – of how I pass through this life. What I am has given me the strength to do it. At my lowest ebb I have never contemplated suicide. I value what is here too much. I have a contribution to make. I am not just taking up space in this life. I can add something to the lives I touch. I don’t like everything I know about myself, and I’ll never be satisfied, but nobody’s perfect”.
“No one has ever written a romance better than we lived it”.
“I’m crazy enough to believe in taking chances in every way, in making choices and gambling with your life. That’s the kind of gambling I believe in”.
“In the world of relationships, possibly the most complicated, uncommon, hard to find, hard to keep and most rewarding, has got to be friendship”.
“A planned life is a dead life”.
This icon stayed true to her image. She was honest, genuine and even when losing the love of her life, she kept going and worked hard till the end.
Another week and another crush! A huge Thank you to our beautiful Laura for taking part in #WCW. You’ve been an absolute pleasure ❤️
Tune in every Wednesday for my Woman’s Crush!