Welcome to Mrs S. LDN 3rd Woman’s Crush Wednesday!!!
Get in touch if you fancy doing it with me!!
“Here’s to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.” – Unknown
Lana Del Rey
D.O.B: 21 June 1985
Singer – Songwriter – Model
Bio in more depth: Good ole Reliable Wiki….
12 Fun Facts about Lana
- Lana’s full name is Elizabeth Woolridge Grant.
- Lana is of Scottish decent and was raised Roman Catholic.
- Lana suffered from alcoholism at a young age, but has been sober since 2004.
I was a big drinker at the time. I would drink every day. I would drink alone. I thought the whole concept was so fucking cool. A great deal of what I wrote on Born to Die is about these wilderness years. When I write about the thing that I’ve lost I feel like I’m writing about alcohol because that was the first love of my life. My parents were worried, I was worried. I knew it was a problem when I liked it more than I liked doing anything else. I was like, ‘I’m fucked. I am totally fucked’. Like, at first it’s fine and you think you have a dark side – it’s exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It’s also a completely different way of living when you know that… a different species of person. It was the worst thing that ever happened to me
- Lana grew up pretty well off and spent a lot of time the Chateau Marmont in L.A. & travelled around the world with her parents…. If I ever get to LA staying even 1 night here would be an absolute dream!
- Lana has gone by a number of different stage names over the year but finally decided to go with “Lana Del Rey” because it “reminded [her] of the glamour of the seaside”.
- Lana has had her look described as “Gangster Nancy Sinatra” and “Lolita got lost in the hood”.
- One of her main musical idols is Kurt Cobain. In an interview with Sirius FM, she said. “When I was 11, I saw Kurt Cobain singing ‘Heart-Shaped Box’ on MTV and it really stopped me dead in my tracks. I thought he was the most beautiful person I had ever seen. Even at a young age, I really related to his sadness.”
- Lana is a big fan of Vladimir Nabokov’s novel Lolita. References to the book can be found all over her album Born to Die
- Lana is a Liverpool FC fan! I promise not to hold this against her.
- Lana’s sound has been dubbed “Hollywood sad core”.
- Lana’s video for the song Video Games was self made!!
- Lana references many pieces of literature in her music. From Tennessee Williams to Walt Whitman and Nabokov.
6 of My Fave Quotes from Lana
“It takes getting everything you ever wanted and then losing it, to know what true freedom is”
“When your happiness is someone else’s happiness, that is love”
“Find someone who has a life that you want and figure out how they got it. Read books, pick your role models wisely. Find out what they did and do it.”
“Distance sometimes lets you know who is worth keeping, and who is worth letting go.”
“Fashion is inspired by youth and nostalgia and draws inspiration from the best of the past.”
“Doing What you love is freedom. Loving what you do is happiness”
Another musician that gives me goosebumps. I just love her throw back to yester years vibes. I really do sometimes think I was born in the wrong decade…….
Tune in every Wednesday for my Woman’s Crush!
Lots of Love…