Welcome to Mrs S. LDN 9th Woman’s Crush Wednesday!!!
Previous #WCW Can be found below:
“Here’s to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.” – Unknown
D.O.B: August 22, 1893
Died: June 7, 1967
Author, Poet, Critic, Screenwriter
Bio in more depth: Good ole Reliable Wiki….
13 Fun Facts about Dorothy
- Dot or Dottie as she was fondly known as was born Dorothy Rothschild
- Sadly her mother died when she was young, only 4 years old. She disliked her father and the new woman he married a few years later.
- Parker was short in height, standing tall at 4’11”
- She sold her first poem to Vanity Fair in 1914. From there she was hired as an editorial assistant for Vogue the same year.
- Dottie’s first marriage was to Edwin Pond Parker, this is where Parker came from. She never changed it back.
- Alan Campbell was a actor and 11 years her junior. They married twice, first in 1934 and then again in 1950. Sadly he committed suicide in 1963.
- Dorothy’s Uncle, Martin Rothschild, was on board theTitanic and died that night in 1912.
- Parker never met Martin Luter King but left her entire estate to him when she died.
- Dottie attempted suicide many times in her life.
- Dorothy is the lady who coined the expression “Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses”
- Dottie was quite the activist, so much so the FBI had a case file on her. She was known as one of America’s first feminists.
- She lived for a short time in Paris ‘everybody did that then,’
- Parker spent time in Hollywood with Campbell writing films. They sold themselves as a double act, her writing and him acting. Together they were able to earn upwards of $1200 a week. A lot of money for the time.
10 of My Fave Quotes from Dorothy Parker
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone
If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to
The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue.
I don’t know much about being a millionaire, but I’ll bet I’d be darling at it.
Tell him I was too fucking busy– or vice versa
That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment.
I require three things in a man: he must be handsome, ruthless, and stupid
All I need is room enough to lay a hat and a few friends
The only “ism” Hollywood believes in is plagiarism
Never complain, never explain
This crush came to me via da-AL so a huge thank you to her for reminding me of the amazing woman Dorothy was!
Another week and another crush!
Tune in every Wednesday for my Woman’s Crush!