Welcome to Mrs S. LDN 12th Woman’s Crush Wednesday!!!
Previous #WCW Can be found below:
“Here’s to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.” – Unknown
D.O.B: 27th August 1887
Editor of Harper’s Bazaar from 1933 to 1957
Bio in more depth: Good ole Reliable Wiki….
15 Fun Facts about Carmel Snow
- Originally from Dalkey, Dublin, Ireland, her family at the turn of the 20th century moved to America.
- Peter White, her father, died when she was 5 and her mother worked at T.M. & J.M. Fox store, a dress makers. This is where Carmel found her love of fashion.
- When asked about her mother’s role, “My apprenticeship as an editor had begun”. Her daughter said “It was instilled in Mummy from her mother that work mattered.”
- Snow was the editor of Harper’s Bazaar from 1933 – 1957
- Carmel Snow was Conde Nast’s protégée at Vogue. She started as an assistant fashion editor in 1922. On her decision to leave Vogue Nast described it as a “treacherous act”
- Snow married late in life and had 3 daughters very quickly. Rumour has it she only took 1 week off after each pregnancy.
- Carmel changed the way photo shoots were done. Carmel wanted them on location and in action. She was able to do this at Harper Bazaar’s.
- She had her own unique style, pale blue hair in curls with a string of pearls around her neck.
- Snow was the first to print a nude.
- Her life was fashion, 24/7. She put everything into it. This life and world consumed her. It was everything.
- Camel “discovered” Lauren Bacall and put her on the cover of Harper’s Bazaar. This lead to Hollywood for Lauren.
- Sadly she was forced into retirement shortly before her death., nearing 70 and having given the magazine everything she had.
- Penelope Rowlands said ”It’s hard to overstate how radically the magazine changed once Carmel got there,”
- Rowlands also said “The magazine was her life, and she was nothing without it.”
- Mr William Hearst, the owner of Harper’s Baazer – said about her “Does anyone have any control over Mrs. Snow? I KNOW I don’t.”
The Only 2 Quotes I can Find by Carmel Snow
Elegance is good taste plus a dash of daring.
You can’t keep an exciting fashion down.
Can anyone share any more?
Another week and another crush!
Tune in every Wednesday for my Woman’s Crush!