Welcome to Mrs S. LDN Woman’s Crush Wednesday!!!
Previous #WCW Can be found below:
“Here’s to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.” – Unknown
Full Name: Carly Elisabeth Simon
D.O.B: June 25, 1945
Singer-songwriter, musician, actress, writer
Bio in more depth: Good ole Reliable Wiki….
12 Fun Facts about Carly Simon
- Carly Simon was born in New York and raised in the Riverdale neighborhood of the Bronx
- Her mother was a Singer and her father was a Pianist who always played music at home so the family defiantly had big musical influences
- Simon had a stutter as a child: “I felt so strangulated talking that I did the natural thing, which is to write songs, because I could sing without stammering, as all stammerers can.”
- Before being a solo artist Simon was in a duet with her sister Lucy, the Simon Sisters.
- AllMusic called Simon, “One of the quintessential singer/songwriters of the ’70s”.
- Carly inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1994
- Simon became the first artist in history to win a Grammy Award, an Academy Award, and a Golden Globe Award for a song composed and written, as well as performed, entirely by a single artist.
- With James Taylor, they share two children Sarah “Sally” Maria Taylor and Benjamin “Ben” Simon Taylor, both musicians.
- Sadly Carly had to have a mastectomy, chemotherapy and reconstructive surgery for breast cancer. “Then one doctor said, ‘You know what, I’d rather see it in a jar than in your breast.’“
- Simon was good friends with Linda McCartney and was “crushed” with her death.
- Carly has written a number of children’s books.
- Her song “Nobody Does it Better” was the theme to the James Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me.
10 of My Fave Quotes By Carly Simon
“A really strong woman accepts the war she went through and is ennobled by her scars.”
“As a singer I tried on all these hats, these voices, these clothes, and eventually out came me.”
“If I were to locate and then identify all the hellish things we all have to go through in life in order to uncover one minute of happiness, it would take up a lot of space.”
“Everyone has problems, and learning to share them is essential. Hiding pain requires an enormous amount of energy; sharing it is liberating.”
“You know, people want to honor me, and on the one hand I just don’t want to be a poster child; but on the other, I want to do something classy and great – something where the residuals will go to the cause.”
“I’ve always thought of myself as being a warrior. When you actually have a battle, it’s better than when you don’t know who to fight.”
“We need role models who are going to break the mold.”
“Do you know how many concerts I’ve done in my whole life, in more than 35 years of performing? Sixty-four.”
“I haven’t got time for the pain.”
“We change our opinions of ourselves so often. What the outside world thinks is only a small part of our image.”
Another week and another crush!
Tune in every Wednesday for my Woman’s Crush!